Tasmanian Wilderness Walks:
Western Arthurs
Full Traverse

Back                                       Day 1   Day 2   Day 3   Day 4   Day 5   Day 6   Day 7   Day 8

Day Seven: Sunday - 21 December 2008 
Lake Rosanne to Two Mile Creek
Walking Time -  10 hours

Susan's Diary
Day 7:   The overnight weather was pleasant with no rain, and we awake to blue skies above us.  In addition, the weather was actually not cold so we were able to walk in shorts and T-shirts - the first time since we walked to Junction Creek on Day-1.  Up on the moraine above Lake Rosanne there were views of low lying clouds with mountain tops visible above these clouds, which was very pretty.

After two long days, the aim for today was to reach Seven Mile Creek which would involve finishing the descent off the Western Arthurs, and then walking through the Arthur Plains to Seven Mile Creek.  According to John Chapman’s times, we were looking at around 7 hours of walking – a short day.  The only doubt was his description of the campsites at Seven Mile Creek – there was reported to be only one dry spot, and that was small.  There was one other spot that was wet.  I was hoping we would have time to walk onto Junction Creek given these poor appraently campsites.

First off we descended into the valley, which was very easy walking, significantly easier than Moraine A.  We passed a sign along the way that seemed to indicate that a new track had been created which bypassed Cracroft Crossing This suggested that we would save 1-2kms of walking that day from the distances suggested by John Chapman (based on the old track) This was very good news.

Eventually we reached the valley floor and we passed a number of small creeks and a larger creek.  The track was fairly dry with very few muddy bits.  The first creek we crossed was only a metre wide, and had beautiful water flowing through it.  We all had a good drink!  Another creek was a bit wider and required climbing over a tree branch.  Being a bit nervous of crossing creeks on logs, I managed to slip off the tree and fall into the water, getting my shorts soaked, and water over my gaiters and into my boots.  Other than the embarrassment and the effort required to stand up with my pack on, this wasn’t a big issue as it was developing into a warm day, so the wet shorts were quite refreshing!


From the dip in the creek we crossed what we believe was Strike Creek, being the widest creek crossing required so far, which we did using a combination of rocks and logs – fortunately I crossed without incident.  We reached the junction with the Eastern Arthurs Track and continued on the much more obvious track to reach the turn off for Cracroft Crossing, where there is an extremely long section of boardwalk to take you to the river.  We gave it a miss and continued on, stopping a little further on for lunch in a sunny spot, as shade was hard  to come by today.  We had walked throgh a number of burnt out areas today and were covered in soot, particularly our hands, with my hands the cleanest as presumably a lot of the charcoal came off when I fell in the creek.  We hadn’t seen water in a while, but I assured everyone it would come soon and I used some of our drinking water to wash people’s hands before lunch.

Not long after lunch we did come across the first small creek where some slightly dirty water was picked up.  A number of other small creeks were passed as we began our climb up over the Razorback.  The climb was very gentle as we slowly gained height whilst sidling the north side of the range, until the track finally reached a low point in the ridge where upon the track immediately descended on the other side.  On thr north side of the Razorback there was no breeze and the warm weather was quite stifling.  When we got to the top we were greeted by views of the Western Arthurs which had been obscured for a while, and a very cool breeze!


The next milestone in the track was Seven Mile Creek.  Instead of poor campsites we were greeted by a couple of nice campsites on the north bank.  At Seven Mile Creek two creeks meet and flow into one.  We crossed one of the creeks using logs, but crossing the second creek proved to require a bit of effort and Luca and I put on our “clogs” for the crossing.  Emma and Gordon crossed the merged creek bare foot, which appeared a much easier crossing.  On the south bank there were a number of beautiful campsites nestled amongst the trees, with sandy ground, and we all wondered what kind of conditions John Chapman must have had when he wrote his description of the campsite However we did notice some debris amongst the higher levels of the trees and realized that the water level did get quite high which would mean those campsites would be under water.  In those conditions  crossing that creek would be very difficult.

I was happy to stay put, ending the day before 5pm and relaxing at the nice camp spot, rather than risking the dubious campsites described by Chapman further on.  Also, my shoulders were getting very sore, as were Luca’s, after the previous two long days.  Nonetheless we decided as a      group  to move on to keep tomorrow’s walk shorter, and we pushed on to Two Mile Creek.


Luca and I decided that if we were going to walk another 8kms to Two Mile Creek, then we wanted to do it quickly, so we shot off walking at probably close to 6km/h in places, however some muddy sections slowed us down, so we arrived at Wullyawa Creek in just over an hour, with only 2.9kms to go.  There were a couple of bumpy campsites there, but there were also a lot of mosquitoes, so continuing on to Two Mile Creek was preferred.  When we finally got there it was just after 8pm, and we thought there was a chance that Emma and Gordon may want to push on, so we waited until they arrived before we began to rest. Fortunately they had had enough, so we set up camp in the two adjacent camp spots south of the creek.

After collecting water we set up camp with the mosquitoes and prepared dinner.  As it was our last night Luca and I decided to finish off our parmesan and put it into our last soup, Tom Yum, with coconut milk and beans.  It is fair to say that this was the best meal of the trip, given the copious amounts of good parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano no less!) and that we would even cook this at home!


Day 7:      
      The final descent to Arthurs Plains
    It was easy going on the flat  
Western Arthurs from Arthur Plains
Western Arthurs from Arthur Plains 2
  Two Mile Creek - almost back to the car!    

Back                         Details   Day 1   Day 2   Day 3   Day 4   Day 5   Day 6   Day 7   Day 8